Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I made it!

Wow! What a week it has been! Last Monday, a family (and Jessica) bike ride to downtown Danville. Wednesday, last day of volunteering at the hospital. Thursday, studying for and taking my Lifespan Psychology final. Friday, went to San Francisco and then had some great brother-sister bonding time with BOTH my brothers! Saturday, went to Fresno for India's bridal shower, which was so great! Sunday, drove home from Fresno, met my family at church, my grandparents came over for a bit, had a family dinner (with Erin too! but minus Cari) and began packing. Monday, bought a new backpack (my first one since sixth grade, so it was a mighty exciting outing) and finished packing all day long, had one very last (part) family dinner before going to the airport. Oh my...what a whirlwind, but so great last week for me!

And now, I am in Boston. Well, actually Somerville, MA, but close enough to Boston. I left Oakland last night at 10:45 and leaving was a lot harder than I thought it would be. After tears fell all around, I said one last good-bye for now to my parents and Stephen and went to go through the security checkpoint where the security guards were very encouraging to me as I came to them in tears. Then, with one last wave to my parents and Stephen, I turned around and went to gate 10 to wait to board the plane. While waiting, I saw a flight of people coming out of the next gate from New Mexico (I think) and as they were walking towards baggage claim, I thought, can I go with you? But, I did not and stayed to board the Boston-bound plane that was waiting for me. While in line, I stood behind a boy who was heading back home for a bit after finishing the school year at Cal, and then I sat with a girl who was going to spend the summer with her mom after finishing her school year at Chico State. I don't know whether it was the fact that I was just talking to someone, or if it was that the person I was talking with were at schools I'm familiar with that was comforting, but it made the beginning of the trip a little bit easier. On the plane, I watched He's just not that into you, but maybe half, or two-thirds, of the way through the movie, my personal television screen stopped working, though I could still hear the movie. Thankfully, the girl from Chico was watching the same movie, so I looked on her screen for the remainder of the film. After the movie and a two-hour (I think) nap/sleep, we arrived in Boston a half hour earlier than expected. Then, I waited for my landlord for two and a half or three hours and he took me around town a bit, pointing fun things out to me on our way to my new home. We got to the home, which I'm pretty sure I'm going to thoroughly enjoy for the next three months, if not longer. I chose a room, we (my landlord) brought my bags up--so kind of him, especially since one of my bags was SUPER heavy. I felt bad, but ever so grateful, while he was hauling my bags up the stairs. He showed me around, gave me the rundown on the house and then had to run off to meet someone. He is one busy man, that's for sure, but so willing to help when I need it.

After he left, I made my bed and then laid down on it to see how it felt. I ended up falling asleep for another two hours, which was magnificent. Then, I unpacked a little bit, went to the store to get a bit of food and cleaning supplies. There is a grocery store that is maybe a three minute walk from my house...so perfect! But, my "roommate" (for the week) told me that there is a cheaper grocery store that is a 10 or 15 minute walk the other way. Hmmm....I'll have to check it out and see if it's worth it.

After some dinner, I did some cleaning, then walked down to Porter Square. On my walk, I was thinking about where I am and what I'm doing and learning what it's like to live in a city, although I'm not even in the city. However, I can walk, or take public transportation very easily, to many different places that have a lot of things happening--restaurants, stores, and people! The number of people I saw out and about today walking, riding a bike, driving, going to and from the train was a very different experience than anything Clayton or San Luis Obispo has to offer. And, not only are there more people, not all of them are college students, which is nice to have a bit more of a variety of ages of people around me. Then, it was back home to do some more cleaning and organizing and to turn my computer on and find out that I can get on the internet! So, that means, people will know this blog exists now because I will tell them when I'm done with this post.

All in all, my first day (has it really only been one day?!) in Massachusetts was great and my room is looking kind of put together. Still lots of cleaning and organizing to do, but I've got time. Thankfully school doesn't start until next Monday, so I have all week to get this place together and ready to be lived in! I'll post some pictures when I get a chance (to finish putting things away and the place doesn't look like a disaster). Thanks again Jessie and Charlie for everything you left me! I wasn't expecting a sleeping bag!!! How fun!!! You probably told me, but I forgot, so it was a nice surprise! :) Well, it's midnight and if I was to adjust to the time on the east coast (so weird I'm living on the east coast--it doesn't seem like it yet) I should get going and get ready for bed. I promise I won't be so detailed in the future--today was a big day, and my first of many, in Massachusetts. Off to bed!

7 comments:

  1. wow girlie, proud of you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Janelle, so good to hear how you're doing! We'll keep you in our prayers!! Love You :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for your blog and I may forgive you for not telling me before...

    Glad you got there safely and I'll talk to you soon! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yayyyyyy!!!!! You made it!! I love your blog, because it's allowing me to relive my times in Boston...and Somerville...and with Sal...hahaha! I'm glad my furniture has a happy home with you too. It served me well during my 2 years there! I stored some of my love in the drawers for you too...so remember, I'm there with you! You'll have to tell me what you experience every day, even down to where you eat sometimes, because I can see it all in my head and it makes me feel closer to you =)

    Love you Narj...say hello to my old home for me =) *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janelle... You are amazing! :) I'm so proud of you and can't wait to follow the adventure via this blog! It will be great to see you at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janelle, glad to see you made it safely and are happy about your new start in Boston. Nicole and I are Portland, OR for my nephew's graduation from high school. Have a great day and we will stay in touch.
    Way to go Janelle!

    Nicole & Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Janelle, So fun to see and read your blog; you sneaky girl!! You made it and I am so glad you arrived safe and sound. What a great first day!! Praise the Lord for preparing for your going and arriving in Boston. We will look forward to keeping up with you through your blog and all the other ways we usually do. Love you lots MOM (from Stephen's computer)

    ReplyDelete