Sunday, June 21, 2009

Whew! Busy weekend...and Father's Day!

This was quite the weekend! Rather busy, but productive as well! Thursday night, we went to a concert at the House of Blues in Boston, which was pretty fun. A small group of my classmates went and although I didn't know who was performing, it was fun to be there and hang out with new friends. The act we went to see was Matt and Kim, which was pretty good. They are a rock group I suppose with just a drummer (Kim) and piano and vocals (Matt). They are on youtube if you so desire to check them out. The House of Blues is right across the street from Fenway Park, so I got a few pictures of the outside of the park as well. Someday, I will go inside for a game. The game that night was called early due to rain, and I believe the Red Sox lost after a six game winning streak, or something like that. (WARNING: There are quite a few pictures in this post...I hope you are able to enjoy them!)

House of Blues in Boston just opened in February or March of this year
Part of Fenway Park
Fenway Park on the right, House of Blues on the left

Friday, Shirin and I slept in just a bit and then went to study for a few hours before going to Relay for Life that night. We stayed up the whole night and walked off and on throughout the whole time. There were five people from our class there as well as maybe ten or so second DPT students. One of our classmates picked us up and we drove over to the high school together. Traffic was really bad for her from her house to our house and then we got lost on our way from our house to the high school, so we ended up getting there a bit late so we missed the opening ceremonies and such, but it was a fun night and a neat experience and something I had not done before. Cancer survivors were there with a sash around them distinguishing they were a survivor and there was a survivor lap during the opening ceremonies, which we missed out on. There was also other entertainment (music mostly) and other special laps throughout the night. As a team, we were able to raise just about $2,000 for the American Cancer Society, which is really exciting! If you wanted to donate, but didn't have the chance or forgot, donations are being accepted through August 31! Click here to donate! Here are some pictures from the event! :)

HOPE spelled out with candles shined throughout the night

The a cappella group that performed Friday evening

Me, Thomas, and Kristina eating cookies while walking

Thomas, Kristina, and Shirin during the backwards lap

Most of our team after winning the "keep the beach ball in the air all the way around the track" lap...the bucket of goodies had brownies, glow sticks, and bubbles

Our campsite...we played a bit of catch phrase during the night

Me, Kristina, and Thomas participated in the three-legged race as a three-man, four-legged team at three a.m. and we won! The prize was a $25 gift certificate to Stop & Shop

We were walking at 5:30 am and it was rather bright outside...it started to get bright at around 4:15 or 4:30. I suppose that's what happens on the eastern side of a time zone

A few laps in the fog early in the morning with my roommate and the sleeping bag Jessie and Charlie left for me! It was a bit chilly.

The seagull was looking for food in the bags with the candles that spelled HOPE in the morning and attacked three of the bags before giving up and leaving.

There was a little morning dance and yoga session Saturday before the closing ceremonies.

After coming home from Relay for Life Saturday morning at about 9:00, I took a shower and slept for a few hours before studying some more. Shirin and I studied all Saturday evening and then this morning, I had the treat of going to church with one of my wonderful roommates from SLO! :) It was wonderful to see her and go to church with her. We went to City Life and she was able to introduce me to a few of her friends there this morning. After church, we went to the Prudential Center (a mall) for lunch at the food court and then we went to see UP, which is a pretty cute movie! Enjoyed it lots, and even more so because I was with Jessie! :) After the movie, talked to my dad...HAPPY FATHER'S DAY DAD!!! Then, went to see The Color Purple with a group of people from school, which I enjoyed a lot. It was at the Wang Theater in Boston, which was so pretty inside! I'll put up pictures of it later...my camera battery died, so I need to get pictures from Shirin. The end of a busy, but great weekend has come and now the second week of classes begins in the morning! Then, off to California on Thursday night and I don't think Thursday evening can come fast enough for me!

Father's are such a crucial part of a child's life. Nobody can replace the role of a father and I am so grateful and thankful for the father the Lord has blessed me with. Dad, it is such a privilege to be your daughter and I love the time we have spent together throughout my life, no matter what we are doing. I have learned so much from you and you have inspired me and encouraged me to work hard and reach for my goals. Thank you for the man you are and for always supporting me and cheering me on. I appreciate the advice and truth you have shared with me, whether I want to hear it or not. Thank you for taking the time to invest in me and my life and for being an example of what it looks like to be a great father. I love you and am excited to see you soon!!! :) To all the fathers out there, young and old, Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment