Friday, June 12, 2009

First Weekend of Grad School

First day of gross anatomy was yesterday.  Not too bad--had a little introduction time, went through the syllabus, lecture about the skin and embyology, went to the lab and found our dissecting groups and our bone boxes.  Oh yes, got our lockers as well.  Have a bit of reading to do this weekend, but other than that, nothing special planned.  I like not having class on Fridays...it will definitely be helpful in studying and being able to keep up on everything (although compared to the Fall schedule, summer is not nearly as full).  So, maybe these free Fridays will give me the opportunity to explore the city and area a bit more.  

Went grocery shopping yesterday (at Shaw's again...I'm told there's a Market Basket nearby too, so I'll have to check it out soon--next time).  I decided I kind of miss cooking and real food, so I am looking forward to actually making real food this weekend!  And, then the best part is that I'll have leftovers!  :)  I've had Anna's Tacqueria twice in the past two weeks, which is a burrito place that is pretty good and not too expensive.  I'm definitely a fan!

It rained yesterday for a bit and quite a bit last night.  Falling asleep to the sound of rain is something I really enjoy....during the winter.  But, raining a significant amount in June?  I don't know if it's normal for the Boston area, but I hope it doesn't continue.  I am definitely missing the California summer sunshine.  Maybe the nice (or at least the sunny) weather will come back soon.  Today is overcast again...but I don't know if it's warm or cold since I haven't been outside yet.  

Homesickness...yes, it does exist.  For me, it comes and goes.  For the most part, the transition has been alright.  I've cried myself to sleep twice in the past two weeks and the emotions will come in waves.  Thank you all for your prayers and encouragement through phone calls, emails, or other notes.  It has definitely helped to meet a few other fellow classmate believers and I think it will help even more when I find a church and meet more people there.  One might think that talking to family and friends from home would help with the homesickness, but that is not always the case.  When I don't think about home too much, I'm okay because I am keeping myself busy and not missing home.  But, when I have time to think about it or am talking to people that I can't be near, but want to see, that brings up something that is not feasible, so it makes me miss home even more and that is when the emotions come.  Thankfully, Nathan and Erin are getting married in just two weeks, when I can come home and see people!  I am so excited for them to get married, but I'm excited for their wedding for selfish reasons as well, because it means I get to come home and visit family and friends.  Thanks for planning it for now you two!  :)   

2 comments:

  1. Hi Janelle,
    we miss you too, and are excited for Nathan's And Erin's wedding for so many reasons. It is good that there is something to miss here at home. We love you and pray for you daily. Have fun cooking this weekend....Dad is painting...
    Love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janelle,

    It sounds very interesting in Boston. Hope things are going well for you. Look forward to seeing you at Nathan and Erin's wedding. Have a safe trip home.
    Love Wynn

    ReplyDelete