Friday, June 5, 2009

Getting to know Boston

Well, it has been quite the three days.  Wednesday, I slept in a bit...and woke up at noon...I blame it on the time change, but I'm not sure if it actually was that or not.  I like to think and tell myself it is, and that I won't wake up at that time once I get used to the time change, but you never know.  After that, I went into Boston to check out the Apple store and talk to people more about a new computer and kind of finalize my decision and what I was going to get.  Then, I relaxed the rest of the afternoon and took a break from cleaning and organizing.  It was good to have a first taste of the T (the subway/train system) and a bit fun as well!  

Yesterday, my roommate came!!!  Her name is Shirin and she's pretty great!  She is in the same physical therapy program as I am, so I am excited to experience many new things with her from school to life to the new city!  She's originally from Wales and moved to San Ramon, CA (and lives just down the street from the hospital where Nathan works).  After all her bags got up to the apartment and she got a bit refreshed from the traveling, we decided to embark on a little excursion.  We went to Harvard Medical School to obtain our identification cards.  It was graduation day, which made the area a bit busy, but fun to see all the graduates in their fancy robes and such.  After we were done there, we went to the Apple store and I purchased my new computer.  I have had the same computer for five years and about half that time, the hinges have been broken and I've had to prop the screen up against a wall, a stack of books, or a heavy water bottle, or something so that the screen doesn't fall straight back to the table.  And, since the last few months, it didn't always turn on when I pressed the power button.  I would press the power button and if it didn't turn on, I'd have to wait 20 or 30 minutes until it turned on.  So, now my laptop is more portable and better for me to use, which will make using it easier.  My old computer definitely taught me patience.  

Today, Shirin and I took a trip to the Institute (the school we're going to) to get our school identification cards.  Haha...what a story that is.  We took the train to the North Station (the station we were supposed to go to).  Then, from there, we walked down the street and around some corners for maybe 15-20 minutes.  We found the shuttle we were supposed to take to get from the train to the Institute.  However, once the shuttle started moving, it went along the exact same route we had walked from North Station.  Come to find out, the shuttle stops RIGHT across the street from North Station and continues on to the Institute.  So silly that we walked all that way to the shuttle.  But, at least we got to see Massachusetts General Hospital, since that's where we actually got onto the shuttle and we also were able to make mistakes and take the long way to school this time without any problems since we weren't on a tight time schedule.  And, now, we know the right way to get to school!  Then, once we finally got to the place to get our ID cards, the man who does it was out sick today!  So, we ended up not getting our identification cards, but we did get the chance to see the West End (during our walk).  

Some of my random thoughts/observations: 

The train system is like BART, but bigger and cooler, yet a bit more confusing and more to pay attention to and more transfers and whatnot.
  
There is a lot more diversity in Boston than in Clayton or SLO.  (Quite a few Asians and when I see a Chinese gentleman, I wonder if that is what my grandfather--Papa--was like when he came to the states and what he was experiencing.)

This whole time change thing and thinking about calling my parents at 5:00, but I can't because, right, they are still in school since it is 2:00 in CA.

The hip straps on backpacks are amazing as they really do take quite a bit of weight off the shoulders and back, making a heavy load more easily manageable to transport.

What is that blue flag that is hanging next to the American and white flags?  I know the white flag is the Massachusetts state flag, but don't know what the blue one is yet.

Many apartments and homes are three stories high along my walk from home to the T.

I still feel like I haven't left California yet, despite the time change, the Massachusetts license plates I see everywhere, the Massachusetts state flag I see flying, the super old and super cool buildings around me, and the people around me talking differently.  

That is all I have for now.  I'm sure there will be more later.  I'll let you know when they come.

2 comments:

  1. yay for a new post! it was good talking to you tonight and i can't wait to hear more about all your new adventures! and visit you - so start taking notes about where you're going to take me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janelle! I am so glad you got a new computer!! I always think of you when i close mine! I hope you enjoy boston! Maybe you will need to wear your onsie PJ there?!

    ReplyDelete