Sunday, June 7, 2009

A bit around Somerville

This morning, I went to Cornerstone Church, which is in Cambridge and about a twenty minute walk from my house.  It was a good service and good teaching.  Different from what I am used to, but still good.  The sermon today was on Psalm 73 and feeling doubts and uncertainty of our faith and of God at times, which is okay and Godly men have felt that way (as written about in Psalm 73).  The church is comprised of mostly college-aged, young families with a few "older" people there.  I'll try somewhere else out next week, but I may go back (at least once) to Cornerstone.  

This evening, Shirin and I took a little walk down to Davis Square, which was maybe a twenty minute (or more) walk in a different direction from church.  Davis Square is bigger and has more restaurants and cafes to go to than Porter Square, which is closer to us.  But, it was good to walk down there and do a little exploring and see what kind of restaurants we could go to and try out in the future!  Then, a bit of grocery shopping on our way home!  We also saw this super cute house that has a great porch, with a little rotunda type structure at one of the ends of the house.  And, it has multiple entrances from the outside to different parts of the house (for different apartments).  Maybe one of them is empty???  We can only hope!  :)  Orientation for school starts tomorrow and goes from 9 to 5 with a few different sessions throughout the day.  I'm excited to meet other classmates and professors and learn more of what I will be doing for the next three years.  Three days of orientation and then we begin our anatomy class on Thursday!

Random thoughts/observations:

There are no blue markers in the middle of the street to mark a fire hydrant in MA.  (at least I have not seen any)

Sometimes there is not a button to push on the light post at an intersection...how do the signals know I want to cross?  There must be a sensor in the street or something.  But, sometimes, there is a button, so at each intersection, I have to play hide-and-go-seek.

Somerville (I suppose Boston area) is rather active.  Every time I walk down the street, there are always a lot of people riding their bikes or running or just being out.  I suppose they do it while they can, since the scene will be drastically different once the snow comes, I'm sure.

2 comments:

  1. Hey cutie pie, so great to read what you have been doing, the sights you have been seeing, and the people you are meeting. I am so proud of you, and excited for the experiences you will have. I want to talk to you, too. Maybe I'll talk to you tomorrow; it sounds like you have a long day, so we'll see. Think of you and pray for you often.
    Lots of love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janelle! Wow!!! I'm SO proud of you!! I'm praying for you this morning. Hope the orientation goes GREAT!!

    BTW.. Andy and Erin were there recently and loved the duck tour thing.
    xo, Stacy

    ReplyDelete