Monday, June 8, 2009

First Day of School

Well, I'm sure you are all curious how my first day of grad school went.  It was pretty good.  Nothing amazing, but a good, slow introduction to the program and all that it entails.  Shirin and I left our house at 8 am and got to school at 9:15.  Yes, mom, we did take first day of school pictures.  Once we were at school, we checked in and received a little packet with some program information and the schedule for the week.  There was a welcome session, then a what it means to be a graduate student session in which we discussed grad school and what it looks like to be a grad student and how it differs from undergraduate studies or even from working, which many students were doing before coming to school.  Then, we had a roundtable discussion time with current second and third year physical therapy students where we were able to ask them questions that we didn't want to ask the faculty and whatever else came up that we wanted to talk to the current students about.

Then, the Office of Student Affairs provided lunch for us which was a pasta mix with chicken and broccoli (which was rather tasty) and lasagna and bread and cake with a cream and strawberry filling for dessert.  During lunch, we had the opportunity to meet faculty and staff at the Institute when they introduced themselves and shared a short blurb about who they are.  There were only a few faculty there to introduce themselves since this week all but the few who stayed behind, are at a pretty large APTA (American Physical Therapy Association) conference somewhere not near here.  So, we will really get to meet them next week.  After those who were there (the ones who stayed behind), each one of us (all 67) did the same as we went around the room.  There is a wide range of experiences and ages of students in my class, and I am really excited to see how the summer pans out while I have the chance to meet them all--there are so many of us!  After lunch, some more people talked about logistical information and where to find things and get our questions answered.  Then, safety and security in the Navy Yard were discussed and then we did our lab coat fitting.  After all that was done, we were taken on a short tour of the campus and surrounding areas before heading home!  

Overall, it was a good day.  I had the opportunity to meet a few people and talk to them a bit more than others, which was good.  I have forgotten that friendships take time to form.  Coming from SLO, where I had such close friends, I forgot what it was like my freshman year, five years ago.  I didn't know anyone and making friends was a whole process, just like it is now.  I was imagining that I would have fast friends and be good friends with at least one person right away.  However, that is not the case.  Oh, how much easier it would be!  But, I am reminded that friendships take time to grow and I can't give up on people quite yet.  

With that, it will be an even earlier day tomorrow and a longer one as well.  It is supposed to rain and we are having a social event, which they didn't tell us what it is, but I think it might be a scavenger hunt type thing around the city where we end up at a bar where the social activity will continue with second and third year students.  I'll find out tomorrow!  All they told us was to wear comfortable shoes and that we would be active and whatever we bring, make it something that we could easily carry around all day tomorrow.  I'm on the red team (meaning I gotta wear red).  We'll be wet and it'll be fun!  Thank you for all of your prayers, emails, texts, notes, phone calls, and support you all have given me especially this last week.  I definitely appreciate it and know that I would not be able to make this transition without the Lord or without you and knowing that you are loving me and caring for me across the country.  Thanks so much; it means the world to me!  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment