Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Walking home from school

I think the last time I walked home from school was a couple years ago while living in the Mill St. house in San Luis Obispo.  And before that, maybe once or twice in high school? (although I can't remember any certain time) and a couple times in middle school and everyday in elementary school.  Yesterday, Shirin and I decided to walk, instead of take the shuttle, to North Station (to take the T) with a fellow classmate.  When we arrived at North Station, we decided we wanted to keep walking.  So, we walked to the hospital to get on the T.  When we were on the platform about to get into the train, we decided that the train was too crowded and we didn't want to get on the crowded train right then.  So, instead, we decided to walk to the next T stop thinking we'd get a less crowded train there (which would not be true since it's the same line and same route.  So, while were were leaving the T station, we looked at each other and decided to walk all the way home!  It was a pleasant walk and the weather was pretty nice outside!  So, after three hours of walking and almost five and a half miles, we arrived home from school with a great experience, quite a few pictures, and a pair of lab goggles.  And, we didn't have to break out the map even!  We just walked and found our way back home!  It was a lovely walk and although I wouldn't do it everyday, I'd definitely do it again!  :)  Below are some pictures of our walk!  However, we missed pictures from the first part of the trip and it begins on the bridge after we decided to walk all the way home.

Random thoughts/observations:

More people say San "Louie" Obispo than I thought.  When I've heard it over the past two weeks from people who have visited or know someone who went to school there, they say "Louie."  I feel like telling them it's Luis, pronounced with the "s" but I always hold my tongue.  It's kind of like me saying "Waltham" with a separation...Walt-ham or "Worcester" (wuhster) differently...war-ces-ter or "Gloucester" (gloss-ter) like it looks...glou-ces-ter.  Maybe their learn one day. 

Some time a while ago, I was cleaning my blinds on my windows and they were really dirty.  Mom, you would be proud.

The other day I was talking with a couple classmates about where I am from.  He is a bit familiar with the east bay considering he has family there, so when I told him Walnut Creek, he knew about where it was!  I continued talking about Walnut Creek and once, I unexpectedly said Walnut Crick.  After that came from my mouth, I had to stop and question myself...where did that come from?  I've never said Walnut Crick before...Grandpa says it, but I haven't.  I took a small moment to think about that after I caught myself.  Thinking about you Grandma and Grandpa!


The Charles River with walking and bike paths right next to it.

Shirin and I on the bridge crossing over the Charles River.

One of the trains we could have taken home and the one we normally take home too.

A building at MIT, although I'm not sure what it is used for.

The Cambridge City Hall and Municipal Buildings.

A building at Harvard with really pretty doorways.

Shirin and I with Mr. John Harvard.

Sitting on one of the rock chairs in the outdoor classroom at Harvard.

Our patriotic neighbor's front yard and house.

Shirin welcoming us to our street!


1 comment:

  1. WOW, quite a walk home from school, and you can't even be mad at me for forgetting to pick you up!! Thanks for the walking tour. Great pictures, such an old city Boston is, with so many things to experience. Praise the Lord for his guiding you there and watching over you while you are away. Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete