Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Random Recent Events

WARNING: This post is quite the random post. I just wrote as it came and I suppose there was no organization in my mind at all. It may be because my room is unorganized and I had a rough/unorganized first week of school. You have been warned, but I hope you are still able to enjoy my unorganized ramblings!

To start with...just in case you didn't know, today is 9-9-09...barely since the day is almost over, but I made it! I started school again last week and with the beginning of school came many other beginnings as well. I moved to another apartment, but for some reason people in Boston who rent apartments begin the lease on September 1 and the lease ends August 31...every year. No overlaps or different dates or anything. And, our school has orientation on September 1. One may think that if half the city is moving on September 1, maybe orientation could be on the second because it's most likely that students will be moving as well. But, no, that was not the case. Therefore, we all went to orientation and had a school-wide BBQ and all, which was actually quite tasty and then instead of going on the Duck Tour that the school would have paid for, I went to the U-haul place to pick up a truck to move all my stuff across town. Yes, the U-haul was essential and I was so thankful that there was one available when I called just a few days before we needed it. Brian, one of my classmates and roommates, drove the truck around town. First, to my old apartment where we loaded up all of Shirin and my belongings as well as Hannah's and some of Brian's since they stayed with us for the last week or so because they had no place to go. Then, Brian and Neil went to pick up Neil's belongings and then went to another classmate's apartment to pick up the remainder of Brian and Danielle's belongings. While all that went on, Hannah, Shirin, and I came to the apartment. We all met at our new place and the unloading began. After just a short while and quite a few trips from the truck to the apartment, we were done! Living on the first floor makes moving so much easier and quicker; it was wonderful! Then, we had pizza for dinner and chose rooms and started taking our bags to our new rooms. Brian and I went to return the truck late that night since we didn't want to have to take care of it in the morning before school and after getting lost maybe two or three times, we found the U-haul place and successfully dropped the truck off, thankfully. It was a late night and a busy day, but we moved! Then, it was to the air mattress for a few days until my bed came on Saturday, which has been wonderful. Such a comfortable bed and it makes me happy to sleep. :) It's a bit high, but that just adds to its loveliness. I have been unpacking and trying to get organized in my room all week while also trying to figure out my school schedule as well and stay tuned in on my classes so I know what is going on. I do my best and am SO looking forward to my desk and dresser that I purchased at Ikea last weekend. They come tomorrow and I can't wait to build them! I got a bookshelf and a chair yesterday and built them last night. The bookshelf is great and I was able to at least get my books in order so I can see them and know what books I have. Needless to say, this last week has consisted of multiple trips to Bed Bath and Beyond, Staples, and especially the hardware store (I think of my dad often!). Oh, yes...my shelf (from the hardware store) that I put on the floor of my closet for my shoes works wonders. It has taken some time and patience, but my room is beginning to come together and is almost at the functional level I have been hoping for. We also purchased couches and maybe a few other things for the living room at Ikea, so we will soon have a more livable living room, and apartment in general, after it all comes!

The first week of school has not been too intense, which has been good for the move-in and having to shop for furniture and other helpful organizational items. Alright...enough about the apartment for now. I went on a jog today and ended up at a small little body of water called the Chestnut Hill Reservoir. I was there at about sunset and it was gorgeous. So peaceful and a nice little jog/walk around the water was a really good way to begin my evening. There were so many people out running or walking around the reservoir and it was a nice get away. Plus, I was exercising more than just the normal walking around I do daily, which was a first in who knows how long. Then, I came home and made some dinner, which was sufficient and then studied a tiny bit of medical terminology in preparation for my test on Friday.

While I was at home over summer, I got my hair cut. Maybe you know this, maybe you don't, but I had Sharon (hair person) cut eleven inches off. Well, I think she cut off ten to begin with in order to donate my hair, which I wasn't able to mail in before I left, so I believe my hair is in a plastic bag on my desk at home still. Then, Sharon cut off some more to style and do whatever else with my hair. She was really excited about it because she loves the cut and had given it to her daughter the previous evening. I definitely had to take some time to get used to the bangs and the shortness of it, but after a week or two, it has finally grown on me and I like my haircut. But, I must say I like it best after I blow dry it, but that doesn't happen too often. (I have actually only blow dried my hair once since I got it cut, but it was my favorite day of my haircut!)

I received a phone call the other day...Monday, to be exact. And on the other end of the phone was my sister with some very exciting news that pretty much made my month! Can you guess what it is?!?! She's coming to visit me!!!!!! October 9 through the 14. Friday through Wednesday with Cari! I am so excited and can't wait! Amongst other activities, I was thinking I would take her on a Duck Tour and then I can experience it with her, since I missed out last week. And, after she made plans and bought the ticket and everything, I took a look at my calendar and decided that the weekend she is coming is probably the best one for her to come. Not only do I think the weather will be a real fall with leaves changing colors and all (at least I hope it's like that) but more so, I don't have class that Friday afternoon, nor Monday (due to Columbus Day), nor Wednesday morning. :) Worst case would have been Friday class until 4, school Monday and Tuesday, and class Wednesday morning at 10. Then, I would have only really gotten to spend Saturday and Sunday with her (plus the other evenings). But, it's the best case that will occur, which makes me even more excited because that means we can do more and spend more time together!!! Oh the plans I am thinking of! :)

I'm sure there is more to say, but as this is already just bits and pieces of my mind as I think of things, I'm not sure what else there is to write about at this moment. And, with that, I am going to go to bed so I can wake up and do a cross fit workout with a few of my roommates in the morning. We don't have class until noon, so we are going to try this crazy work out my roommate has. We'll see how it goes in the morning!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Janelle. Thanks for sharing your life, moving stories, i love reading about you, have fun exercising!! Cari is excited, too. I am excited that you two will get to spend time together in Beantown, and that you want to. Praise the Lord!! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the first week has been a busy one, but I'm so glad you're getting settled in. You get a "Yay!" for your bookshelf (because you know me and my love of books), but I'm also super excited that you have a comfy bed, a desk, and a dresser to help with your organization. Do we get to see a picture of your lovely room? It sounds like things are coming together nicely, and I'm so happy to hear that. Thanks for the updates, Janelle! :)

    ReplyDelete