Monday, July 27, 2009

Finally Summer...

Yep! Summer has come upon us here on the east coast. Or, at least I'm told this is more of a typical summer. Yesterday morning, I woke up hot and sticky. Yes...the humidity has set in. And, the heat. So, I took a shower, but I was just as sweaty after as I was before, so I'm not sure if it was worth it. Then, I went to church at Hope Fellowship Church yesterday morning, which was pretty good. I enjoyed the service and the preaching and it seems as if they are pretty involved in the community and are looking for ways to continually reach out to those around them, which is encouraging. Kind of a smaller church and I absolutely loved the building! :) (an added bonus) I met up with two of my friends from Cal Poly, Ruth and Lissa, at church and it was so much fun to see them on the opposite coast! And, I found out that I will be living close to Ruth next year while Lissa moves back to California to go to Fuller Seminary in Pasadena. Both Ruth and Lissa have lived here for the past year and I am looking forward to seeing Ruth more in the coming year! We went to lunch together after church and towards the end of lunch, it randomly started pouring and maybe ten minutes later, it stopped just as abruptly as it began. When the rain has stopped, we decided to take advantage of the dry sky and travel home. I went to study at Breugger's which is a great coffee shop place with excellent music. Shirin met me there and we studied until they closed. We had a coupon we were going to use to buy a dozen bagels, but when we went to go buy them, they had already closed the registers and had partial bags of bagels, so the workers gave us a bunch of bagels for free! It was so nice of them and so great for us! We were given six pumpernickel, five or six wheat, and maybe four multi-bagels. Whatever they were, they were free and gave us reason to smile and something to eat! :)

Last night, while I was laying in bed, all of a sudden there was a flash outside my window followed by claps of thunder. A bit confused, I laid in my bed, listening and waiting. There was more thunder and lightening and maybe two minutes later, the rain finally came. And, when the rain came, it came all at once...in a downpour. Right before this happened, I was thinking that summer had finally come and I was experiencing the hot and humid summer as I was expecting. And, then the rain came and thought I had thought too soon. However, I was talking with a fellow classmate this morning and she informed me that these thunderstorms are typical and normal in the summer. Whereas I think winter when I think thunderstorm, these people over here think summer when they think thunderstorm. Interesting difference. So, I suppose I was correct in thinking that I am finally experiencing a more typical east coast summer. So much to get used too...can't wait until I learn about and experience a New England winter! I think I'm in for a surprise! :) And today, again, was hot and humid. I am so thankful for the window air conditioning unit in my room and that my room is on the second floor and not the third. Shirin and Laura (my two roommates who both have rooms upstairs) are so warm in their rooms-I feel bad for them. So, I really have not too much, if anything, to complain about!

Random thought/observation:
I noticed this a while ago...on my way back to Boston from California from the wedding...but it's useless to have automatic flushing toilets in the bathrooms if they do not work properly. Sometimes the automatic flusher flushes way too early--before I even sit down! Then, I have to get another seat cover and start over. Or, there are the toilets that the automatic flusher doesn't flush automatically, so I have to manually push the button anyway to flush it. What's the point of that? I don't see one, but maybe I need to be enlightened. However, we have automatic flushing toilets at school and they work wonderfully...flushing at the right time and everything! When the automatic flusher works like it's supposed to, automatic flushing toilets can be great! However, when they work like they are not supposed to, automatic flushing toilets are useless and more frustrating because it does not function as expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment